Tuesday, February 07, 2006

 

Our real first day of class

Hello everyone,
I just want to leave a quick note about my first day of classes. Overrall it went really well, I was really happy with myself, because I wasnt nervous at all once i went in the classroom. My first class had about 30 students (about half the normal size i think -- i dont have a class list yet), and they were good students, aging between 12 and 21!! (nobody older than me, good thing). The next class was a little rowdy, but managed to control them (i think i may have problems with them later on), i had about 45 students in that one. The last two classes were actually the best tho. Something funny that happened - I actually taught the wrong class at one point!!!! haha, let me explain. I teach 9H and then 9G, but i taught 9G and then 9H, but by that point all the other teachers had left, so nobody came to claim the class!!!! Anyway, about 20 students waited for those last two classes, and i think that's why it went so well, only the good students waited, all the other went home. Haha, oh well, I had a really good time, and looking forward for tomorrow (i'll try to keep the classrooms straight this time).
Aight, here's Paul. I hope all of you are doing well,
Love
Eli


Hi! I taught my first classes this morning- only two, as I teach 4 days a week so they´re spread out- and it went pretty well. I´m not sure that all of my students understood my Portuguese- I´m not actually sure that I could understand my Portuguese at some points, but they didn´t really say anything, so we´ll have to wait and see how much they got. I start teaching at 6:45am most days! so at least it´s still a little cool out, which is nice.
One of the wierd things about teaching is that the bell system isn´t really worked out yet. Class kind of starts when you walk into the room and ends when you leave. I remember looking at my watch and then asking the students when class ended. They said ´technically 5 minutes ago,´but I was looking at the classroom across from mine and they were still teaching, and no bell had rung, so I hadn´t been sure. But when I left my classroom, sure enough all the others were out of session (and were out of session every time I went out to look, so I guess you can´t tell anything by that).
My big shock for the day is that I´m the head of the biology department! I´m not really sure what extra work is expected of me, or why they picked me, but we´ll see what happens. Also, I´m the director of the 11th graders that are following the science path. Hopefully its not too complicated, I think I would do better my second year when I speak better portuguese!
We´ll talk more about teaching when we´ve gotten more into the meat and bones of it- these two days were just introductions. Hope everyone is well,


Paul

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?