Sunday, April 02, 2006

 

Eli the Builder

Eli and I just finished with a major construction project. We built a counter with shelves on our balcony today (it´s a covered balcony where we do all of our cooking). Since we had NO counterspace in the whole house it seemed like a pretty important thing to do. We went out and bought 16 cinder blocks, a bag of cement, a trowel and I had a carpenter make 2 boards for a counter and a shelf, then we mixed our cement, placed our blocks and did a pretty haphazard but hopefully decent job of stacking them and laying the board on top. We still need to add a little cement and paint, but so far so good. Next weekend we might build a roof over the stairwell.

Eli wants me to point out that since nobody has sent us any recipes, despite our pleas- we´re forced to eat things like egg sandwiches (just an egg on a peice of bread) for lunch, and tuna sandwiches for dinner. Although on Friday we had chicken, which was kind of a fun change. Especially since I got to go to market and pick it out, carry it home, and then give it to my empregada, so she could throw some sand on the floor then cut its throat in the kitchen. We let her do all the dirty work, but she killed cleaned and cut up a chicken on our floor. It actually tasted pretty good, but the head feet and some of the internal organs got tossed into the cook pot too. So, if you have chicken recipes, please send those too.

We have one more week of school, then break- although already the majority of students and teachers are taking vacation. I´m not even sure if I have 1 or 2 days left with each class (I´m getting conflicting information from some of my students, whom I´m not quite sure I can trust).
Anyways. After that we have IST, which is in service training, and should be a lot of fun.

For those of you with free/cheap fed-ex possibilites, we´ll be getting mail at the IST (in 2 weeks) so it´s a good time to mail stuff ;-)

Yesterday we got a handmade couch ($6), made from wood and rope. It´s actually pretty nice, and it´ll be even nicer once we´ve got some pillows on it. Our house is slowly becoming normal.

**We saw that Barcelona´s jerseys became yellow, when did that happen? **

Comments:
Sorry- I think our TV distorts colors a little! (Who would have thought we would even have a tv?)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?