Sunday, April 09, 2006

 

More Dia da Mulher

Hello!
I always think of a ton of things to write on the blog, but as soon as I sit in front of the computer I forget everything. Anyhow, I wanted to quickly tell you about the Dia da Mulher Moçambicana (April 7th). Last week I talked to some of my students about starting a girls club, and organizing something for April 7th. So, about 10 of them were interested, and decided to march to the main city square. As Paul said, everything was delayed (very normal for Mozambique), but we had a good time. After that the school director took us all for lunch, which was a big surprise for everyone (for Paul and I it was a great time to get to know the director and the ped directors - we all laughed a lot about the fact that Paul and I had never cooked with coals!). I had to give two public speeches for this girls club, and you all know me with public speaking, but on top of that, they were suprise speeches: the director just called me up and told me to say something!
I'm very excited about this girls club, I think it will be good for the girls and for the school in general. As of now, we only have vague ideas of what to do (dances, football games, debates, etc), but there's a lot of potential. I will keep you posted as things progress.
Also, Paul and his ped director are organizing a science fair at the school (we are hoping that eventually it will get to the provincial level). We're gonna set up the computers at the school, which have been in boxes for THREE YEARS!!!! Hopeuflly by the end of this week, they will be up and running in the school "library". So, a lot of new cool stuff is going on here (the school is also getting windows put in in one classroom).
ANyway, I hope all is good. Rory, I saw Eli's picture finally, she looks sooo cute!! SEnd me more pix!!
Love,
Eli

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?