Sunday, May 21, 2006

 

5 minutes of fame

Ok, I already had my 5 minutes of fame, when I grated a coconut on national TV during PST, but I had another 5 minutes of fame when I played basketball this weekend. It actually wasn´t really fame, since I didn´t do anything good, I was just the only white person playing and everybody was talking. Our game against Pemba was at night, under the lights (yes, they got light bulbs for the game, and put up nets- we also had referees and jerseys, and about 100 spectators). Somehow we had a coach whom I have never seen before in my life, and I think he only let me play because I´m white (we had 3 guys who are better than me who didn´t get to play at all). We did end up losing to pemba, not necessarily because they´re better than us, but our guys started out pretty darn nervous. Anyways, it was a good time, but I think the games are going to be pretty few and far between- there are only a few towns with teams within a couple hundred miles.

This weekend we got an unexpected call from Bern, the volunteer who had organized the boys conference that I went to. He called us and said he was in Ilha, and the next day he showed up at our door. It was fun to have a visita, since we have so few here in Nacala. On Saturday we went to the beach, where we witnessed a) people brushing their teeth with twigs, then pooping on the beach (they did this in big groups) and b) muslims praying on the beach only a dozen feet from the poopers. This was an interesting contrast.
After lunch at the beach we asked a group of chinese guys for a ride home. It turns out they live really close to us and are working in the lumber trade. We got to talking with them and ended up going out to the local disco together, where it was really funny to see the chinese guys dancing, and we got treated well by the managment. We didn´t come back until after 3am, and since on a normal night we go to bed at 9pm, this morning was a little rough.

Here´s a reminder of our mailing address and contact info for people who want to email
Email: paulthelatino@gmail.com or eliobrate@yahoo.com phone: 82-101229 and you have to look up the country code.

Mailing:
Paul and Elisabeth
Escola Secundária de Nacala-Porto
CP 187
Nacala, Nampula
Mozambique

Hope all´s well and you´re enjoying the warmer weather. Our weather is getting cooler, which is to say, we only sweat a little bit when we´re inside.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?