Sunday, May 28, 2006

 

teaching, climbing and shrimp

Hello!
Sorry, it's been forever since i've written anything on the blog (Paul has more patience with the slow internet than I do). Everything is going pretty well here, I think both Paul and I are getting extremely frustrated with teaching - we both still like teaching, but it kinda gets to you when you've taught the present continuous for two weeks (this is second trimester of ninth grade, so they've already had a year of English) and students still write stuff like "I is drive a bicycle"! But there are nice things, for example when I got sick and Paul taught the class for me, a bunch of my students came by our apartment to see how I was feeling, so that was nice.
A couple of fun things happening around here: we found some rocks to do rock climbing about a 45 minute hike out of town. It's quite amazing, you're pretty high up so you can get a beautiful view of the bay. We're planning on taking the camera next time. Since we dont have our harnesses or ropes, we just boulder around, which is still really fun.
Paul has gone in a shrimp buying frenzy, so we have about 12 pounds of shrimp in our freezer now! (that's in addition to our box of snickers bars :-)
My girls club is up and running, it's still a little unorganized, but going well. I'm really excited for the Girl's Conference in July (kinda what Paul did in March for the boys). I'll be taking two students from my school and two from Monapo (where two other PC volunteers are at). It's difficult to choose the girls tho, so for now they're writing an essay, and then I'll probably sit down with a couple and "interview" them. We'll see.
Paul is about to finish War and Peace, which was our emergency back-up book! We're hoping to get some new books from the Monapo girls and when my mom and Lyn come :-)
Anyway, I think that's it for today. I hope everyone is doing well. Love,
Eli

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?