Wednesday, October 11, 2006

 

What an Empty House!

Well, we finally did it. We got rid of the kibby. Temporarily, that is; yesterday I took him to Monapo, his original home. Eli´s sad because she didn´t really get to say goodbye, but we got a visit from the Peace Corps doctor, and I caught a ride with her back to Monapo so I could avoid taking the cat on a public chapa. I rather ingeniously got the cat into a plastic clothes hamper, then tied the lid on him so he couldn´t escape. Unfortunately, I disingeniously didn´t tie it tight enough so half way to Monapo he made enough space for himself to get out, and then he was free in the back of a land cruiser with 5 passangers- two of whom (both mozambican) were NOT very happy at all to have a loose cat in the car; i.e. `stop the car, I´m getting out`.
I ended up sitting in front with the kitty on my lap, and he was good until we got to Monapo. Getting him out of the car was a little harder, and I have all the scratches on my arm to prove it.
We plan (or at least Eli does) on getting him again mid-December when we return.

As for school, we´ve both graded and turned in all of the final exams. Now we´re just tying up loose ends before we go. We´re leaving the final grades with our mozambican counterparts, and they´ll have to do the rest of the work (sorry guys). A lot of kids have been asking us to give them higher grades, and it´s sad when you like the kids but you have to give them a failing grade. Most of my kids that failed are only failing because they tried to cheat several times, and I gave them a zero for it. Next time I won´t be so harsh- I thought the severe penalty would make kids cheat less but it didn´t.

Sunday morning we leave Nacala!

Comments:
My kids cheat a lot too... the little bastards; Only if I fail them their mom and dads get mad and pull them out of school, then i dont get paid : ) Sounds like everything is going great for you pauly-o-. Enjoy the next few weeks!!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?