Sunday, January 21, 2007

 

To Inhaca... almost

Our fancy conference at the Hotel Cardoso has ended (sadly-no more 4 star treatment) so all the Peace Corps volunteers have moved en masse to the Hotel Africa II- minus the 4 or 5 people who went home. Eli stayed because she is part of the planning committee for REDES (the girls conference), and I stayed because, well, I'm sort of a drifter. I actually asked Peace Corps to change my plane ticket so I could stay a few more days and now I'm sharing a room with someone from the REDES committee- which is free. So I thought I would use all this free time to take a trip to the island of Inhaca. A 3 hour ferry ride from Maputo, it's one of the more popular vacation destinations in the country; famous for its snorkeling, beaches, dolphins and flamingos. Half of the island is taken up by a biological research station and nature reserve, so I brought my binoculars all the way from Zambezia.
I took a taxi at 7am today with two other PCVs (one who actually lives on the island, lucky guy), only to find out that, for some reason which was never made clear to us, the ferry isn't running today. So no trip. So here I am trying to pass the time away in Maputo on a Sunday, with Eli in meetings all day. The only thing that's keeping me afloat is the new gelatto place that opened :-)

Here's a picture of the bird that lives next to my house in ile. No, I didn't take the picture, I got it from google, but it looks the same.

Comments:
Did my picture not go through?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?